[tlug] What do you use for simple monitoring?

Hi tlug,

I am running a single server, with some services like
named, webserver, MTA.

I just configured DNSSEC for my domains, and think that I should
setup something simple to notice when a service goes down.

For availability monitoring, something like Nagios or Zabbix
comes to mind, but this is to heavy for my single server with
just some services.

I consider to just use a shellscript which checks some things
and sends an email if a returncode is not as expected.

What are you guys doing to monitor simple, single services?

cheers,
Chris