Re: [tlug] Cheap e-mail providers

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:10:28AM +0900, Stephen Lasseter wrote:
> > On Mar 26, 2019, at 10:03, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. And as mentioned before, in these days of having to handle spam,
> > both with incoming DNS blacklists (Spamhaus, etc.) and doing SPF and
> > similar for outgoing mail, even "basic" mail configuration is no
> > longer trivial.
>
> I keep hearing this, but I’ve been running mailcow for a number of domains on a vps for the past year with minimal fuss and few issues.  It is a docker-compose setup with all the stuff you would expect for a mail server stack.  And if I decide I don’t like my vps provider, I can migrate to another pretty easily.  My spam levels have been just as low as they were when I was on gsuite.  My running costs are just ¥900/month for my current choice of vps in Japan.
> https://mailcow.email.   mail-in-a-box is another popular one, though it is not docker based.

I run my own mailserver, and I can relate to Curts comment.
Setting up the new and fancy DNS things is required so the big
mail hosters like gmail keep talking with the own hosted mail
server.
At least I am also hosting the DNS service for myself, so I do
not need to be worried whether the webinterface of the service
provider doing DNS for me supports DKIM records and so on.

As for spam, graylisting still works quite nicely for me, but
I have to live with the initial mail being delayed.

cheers,
Chris