Re: [tlug] Cheap e-mail providers

On 2019-03-25 21:24 +1100 (Mon), Jim Breen wrote:

> My rowing club in Melbourne uses (now) GSuite for email, etc. We
> have just one paid address. In fact we can set up all sorts of other
> addresses using the "groups" facility. As well as memberships, etc.
> we have single-member groups like "secretary@...", treasurer@..",
> etc. which are effectively separate memberships.

IIRC I used to do something similar with G Suite but just having the
addresses forward to other mailboxes (which can even be free gmail.com
accounts).

The trick here, whether you do it with G Suite or any other mailbox
forwarding service, is to make sure that the mail UIs of the receiving
accounts let you set up a different "From:" address for outgoing mail
that should appear to come from user@example.com. Ideally it
automatically chooses that as the outgoing From: address whenever
replying to a message sent to that address. GMail can do this.

There can be other issues related to spam blocking on both the
incoming (G Suite blocking certain sites) and outgoing sides (SPF[1],
DKIM[1]), but I do a lot of forwarding of cynic.net mail from my
personal mail host to my G Suite account and sending from both that
and my Google Apps GMail account as <cjs@example.com>, and haven't run
into many issues.

You can also share G Suite documents with free gmail.com accounts,
again at a slight loss of convenience.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail

cjs