Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

So, here's where we are with the current proof-of-concept (PoC) of a
new site:

1. Jim was going to contact Henri and whatever other folks are more
   intimately involved with the current site and get their thoughts on
   the general idea of "convert to static site builder +
   Netlify/GitHub Pages-style hosting." I don't know where we're at
   with that. Jim?

2. The PoC in terms of rendering the content is still sitting where it
   was last weekend: we have the top HTML pages and some associated
   images and CSS up (see <https://tlug.github.io/tlug.jp/>), and
   we've extracted the content from the original site, but we don't
   have, e.g., any Markdown files getting rendered to HTML. I intend
   to step up on this once I deal with some other issues below, but
   having someone else also interested in putting some effort into
   this would of course be good. (I've also gotten in touch with an
   outside guy who does some web stuff and has a very strong interest
   in Haskell who might be interested in helping out.)

3. I've heard no real comments on the "must build locally and push"
   vs. "click GitHub 'Edit' button and someone else builds and pushes"
   thing, beyond "both Jim and I can see how some people might not
   update the site without the latter." I'm guessing that the
   "requires you run Linux" part of this is not a big issue :-)
   (though even that is fixable), but is there anybody around here who
   would be seriously (or even moderately) committed to doing web site
   updates for whom needing to use a Linux command line for this would
   be a deal-breaker? (Keep in mind that we'd have several people
   offering full tech. support on this.)

4. For the "click GitHub 'Edit' button" thing there are a lot of
   different options for getting that working with Hakyll, and I've
   had some feedback from Netlify now that leaves me convinced that
   it's not a major problem, requiring only a moderate amount of work
   on my part that I'm happy to do. (And, especially, I would leave
   this in a heavily-scripted, well-documented state so that even if
   everybody else refused to learn it and I got hit by a bus, recovery
   would still be reasonably easy.) So I'll continue on this for the
   moment, but if we happened to agree that the "build locally and
   push" option from #3 above was Just Fine, I would be freed up to
   start working on #2 in the coming week, rather than the week after.

5. All this said about Hakyll, switching to some Javascript
   monstrosity^Wframework is still an option, but not something where
   I have either the expertise or inclination to do the programming to
   make all the bits really easy. But I would probably do Python, so
   there are options to switch away and still get development work out
   of me if anybody's got strong opinions about this and it would
   enable (non-bikeshed) contributions to the coding.

6. I just realized that this kind of long, detailed analysis is
   exactly the thing that my boss complains about for my work
   projects. Can't I just replace this with a couple of PowerPoint
   slides? (Or better yet, an Excel sheet?) I'm going to go with the
   Mark Twain excuse, and maybe remind you that after all this *is*
   the TLUG list. And yes, I realize that this point is probably
   pointless, but hey, by leaving it in I might get some feedback on
   whether people actually read all the details of all my posts.

7. It just occured to me that we need a LISP interpreter for this.
   Really.

8. I do the Coffee and Code[1] meetup many Saturday mornings, and I'm
   thinking that this coming Saturday I'll head over to Lodge[2] again
   after (around 1 p.m.) in case anybody wants to get together and
   hack on this stuff in person some more. Ideally, let me know in
   advance if you're interested in coming so I don't bail at the last
   minute.

[1]: https://www.meetup.com/coffee-and-code-tokyo/
[2]: https://lodge.yahoo.co.jp/

cjs