[tlug] ja Input Failing Only in Chrome, Only Sometimes

I have a couple of laptops and a couple of desktop systems I use
regularly, all running Debian 9. Japanese input works fine in urxvt
and Telegram (and presumably other GUI applications, though can't
think of any I've tried recently off-hand), but on only one does it
work in Chrome and Chromium (various versions over the past year,
though I'm currently using the latest); the others just give me romaji
in Hiragana (or any other non-direct) input mode.

These are all running IBus with Mozc, though on one system I've also
added Anthy and I get the same behaviour with both Mozc and Anthy.
This started around the time I switched from SCIM to IBus (along with Debian 9)
as best I recall.

My init files are the same on all systems though the magic of dot-home[1];
my xinitrc[2] sources a script called xresetup[3] that sets up the IM
environment variables:

    export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
    export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
    export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

Everything related in the environment is:

    $ env | grep -Ew 'xim|ibus'
    CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=xim
    QT4_IM_MODULE=xim
    QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
    XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
    GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus

(Something somewhere--presumably "the system"--is also setting a
couple of other variables in my environment as you can see.)

So, any thoughts on what's wrong, or how to debug this? I can bring a
working and non-working laptop to the meeting tomorrow, if that helps.

[1]: https://github.com/dot-home/_dot-home
[2]: https://github.com/dot-home/cjsdesktop/blob/master/dot/xinitrc
[3]: https://github.com/dot-home/cjsdesktop/blob/master/bin/xresetup

cjs