Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Facebook popups

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 14:02, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> I don't have an Ubuntu 16.04 system to check this.  But I'm on Ubuntu
> 18.04 and the desktop does give me notifications, which are described
> here:  https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/shell-notifications.html.en
> .  And at least for me, some of the notifications on this list were
> placed there without asking me first.

That help page didn't help, I think because I'm using Gnome Classic.
Super-V etc. didn't do anything.

After poking around a bit I found I've got the notification-daemon
running, so just
'notify-send Hullo' in the command line gets the popup showing.

> Do your popup notifications stop if you killed all instances of
> Firefox/Chrome/etc.?  I'm just wondering whether it's possible FB
> placed the notifications in your desktop and not your web browser.  (I
> don't use FB, so I can't check for you.)

I didn't want to kill Firefox for several hours, so I did some more poking
and found that when logged into FB under Settings/Notifications/Desktop
Firefox notifications were enabled. I've turned it off, and I'll see
if they stop.

Thanks

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University