Re: [tlug] Why change a linux server's locale?

ESID but generally I'd feel like any server-side software that depends
on the server's default locale to work correctly is Doing It Wrong. If
I've got software that needs a particular locale to work correctly for
my purposes, I feel like I'd rather be setting it explicitly. If
you're not running desktop stuff I can't think of much that I've come
into contact with that would break under normal operation; Database
defaults, possibly, but you're better setting those explicitly.

Ideally you'd want the same environment on your development server as
on the production server, and if you don't I think there are other
things to worry about before the locale. That said, if I couldn't set
the same thing as production I think I might be tempted to set the dev
box to Western Klingon or whatever exotic locale it *does* support
that would be more likely to pick up anything I was doing that
inadvertently relied on it...

As far which system to choose for any given task when you're in
complete control of it, I'd certainly go for UTF-8 rather than EUC-JP
or SJIS, but people do often have genuine legacy issues.

Edmund Edgar
Founder, Social Minds Inc (KK)
Twitter: @edmundedgar
Linked In: edmundedgar