Re: [tlug] Common bus over devices

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:52 PM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:

> Raymond Wan writes:
>  > Of course, one can just put the files into Syncthing / Dropbox and add
>  > a symbolic link from the home directory to these files to have them
>  > automatically sync (provided it's the same application on the computer
>  > and mobile device...  Sometimes, standards would help...  :-) ).
>
> Like say, NFS, AFS, and SMB?  There's also the Coda and Unison caching
> network file systems (which aren't standards in the sense of having

Fair point(s)!  :-)  Sorry, I should clarify by saying that I didn't
mean the existence of standards but motivation for software developers
(i.e., PDF viewers, media players) to follow standards.  And not about
syncing per se.

With respect to the topic in this thread, my (gnome?) configuration
directory looks like ~/.config/<some program name>/<bunch of
configuration parameters> .

It would be nice if it looked like ~/.config/PDF/<some file format
that all PDF viewers would follow>

But yes...there is no motivation to do this.  I can understand that.

I just have this feeling that my ~/.* files and directories are
growing without bound and some consolidation would be nice...  Yes,
"ls" by default doesn't list these files, but it's like sweeping them
under the rug.  They are there and may be for programs from several OS
versions ago.  Sorry, don't mean to complain...I guess/hope it isn't
just me that feels this way.  :-)

Ray