Re: [tlug] Compile/load problem with graphics library

On 2018-08-11 03:41 PM, Brian Chandler wrote:
> So if it's a version problem, would this show up as a "can't find
> (function) read" message?

Possibly.  I encountered a similar but slightly different problem with a
library after upgrading a couple of years ago, and so it seemed worth a
guess.  Checking the FreeBSD g++ man page suggests the ABI change I was
thinking of was farther back than I thought though.  Are there multiple
versions of g++ (like g++-nnn) wherever FreeBSD/Pair store their
toolchains?  (And have you confirmed you have a working g++ toolchain by
compiling and running a trivial program that doesn't require linking to
anything other than the standard library?)

> The next simplest answer would be to install a copy of the Magick++
> library which I compile myself on the server. I installed it on my
> computer using sudo apt-get, which doesn't appear to be an option on a
> shared server. Any suggestions?

The comparable FreeBSD tool is 'pkg', but I wouldn't expect you to have
the required permissions to install things on a shared commercial
server. You *could* fetch the source archive from the Magick++ project
and try to build it... but that seems definitely "down the chain of
workaround."
  http://www.imagemagick.org/Magick++/Install.html

(BTW if your 'imagetrim' tool just crops an image, you can do that
directly with ImageMagick's mogrify/convert tools although it takes a
corner and width/height rather than a bounding box. And convert will let
you composite one image atop (a portion of) another.)