Re: [tlug] fcitx/mozc IME: black on black

The below IME colours problem is now biting me in a different way. Ever
since a crash (*) messed up a load of desktop settings, the IME is now
coming up as black on black in Firefox too (I think it is a very dark
grey on black). As I type the hiragana it is fine, it is only when I
press space to choose a kanji.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?  Thunderbird is still fine, so it
must've been coincidence that they used the same colour-scheme, pre-crash.

Darren

*: Opening a large file from a docker container made the machine
unresponsive. This machine has never been the most stable (I suspect -
but cannot prove - the nvidia driver). Knowing how it was going to end,
and in a hurry, I did a hard reset (**).

On reboot I found it had corrupted (become full of binary data) a few
files: my firefox saved passwords, my bash history and my timesheet. And
it turns out only the third of those three had been covered by my
regular backups.
It had also wiped out my xfce settings. Restoring them from the files
under ~/.config/ (that I keep in a git repository) made no difference.

I now intend to move to taking regular snapshots of all .* files under
my home directory, and drop the git repository idea. It comes in at
something like 8GB, and takes a couple of minutes to run. Like
insurance, that is only expensive if you never need it.

**: This was my mistake. Previously I've tried to shutdown gracefully,
and then forcefully killed it when the shutdown process freezes.