Re: [tlug] Tuesday at THS: "Sync and share your data with Syncthing"?

Sorry for the late reply, just saw that mail...

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2018-03-01 07:51 +0000 (Thu), Darren Cook wrote:
>
>> ...with Dropbox you can be sure it will be working 24/7, but
>> Syncthing requires the user to run a server and guarantee that
>> themselves.
>
> But you can run multiple servers such that so long as any single
> server is running you'll be working, can't you? I'd think that setting
> up one or two in AWS and another one or two in Google Cloud would
> provide pretty darn high reliablity 'out of the box' so long as you're
> not making configuration changes to the servers.

Yes, pretty much along my thoughts, though I'd use AWS and another VPS
provider (+backup).

>> I have been toying with the idea (offering syncthing storage) for a
>> few months, but not looking yet for customers.
>
> What would be the advantage here over something like Dropbox or Google
> Drive? And in particular, is there any reason a company using full-up
> G Suite ($12/month/user with unlimited file storage as well as all the
> other Google applications) would be interestedin keeping their files
> off of Google, given that all their email etc. is stored by Google
> anyway?

Nothing much, I am prospecting new clients that does not do GSuite and
are unhappy or have no other cloud backup.
I offer "real support" since I am a one-man shop. (There are companies
that still prefer that)

>> I still try to get the how the code works (or why), and I cannot
>> fully trust it yet.
>
> So what have you done in that area and what have you found out?
> What are your concerns in terms of understanding the code?

Nothing suspicious if you meant that. Just that I still don't
understand how/why it works.
It is fairly complex, even looking at the logs is a hard task (and I
am used to that).

>> And I hate that there is no proper support for hard links (I want to
>> keep a big (5-10 GB) store of things (e.g. maps) shared read-only
>> between many devices, with "root" on a server; yes this is NOT P2P
>> mode, but I need it).
>
> How do hard links help with this?

specific example: I use OSMAnd+ (paid) on 4 different devices, it
downloads huge maps (few GB) each month. Unfortunately there are other
data in that directory (e.g. indexes) that is somewhat device
specific.
I want to download the updates only on one device, propagate to the
others and keep one copy on a server. The only workable way is to
duplicate the respective device directory to the server (say 3GB), for
each device (=12GB).
Then remembering to update only one of the devices, after
syncthing-ing to the server, semi-manually copy (i..e hardlink) the
maps to other devices folders, so they get the updates.
If hardlinks were supported (i.e. overwrite the file in place as
opposed to rm&create), updating the maps on one device will magically
(via the hard link) update the rest. I need hard links to save space.
Of course, I can install a proxy instead. Or even run my own
mapserver. But this is where I am at with hardlinks.

Cheers,
Kalin.