Re: [tlug] Tokyo ISP Throttling? Why does my internet speed increase so much by setting up a proxy?

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Jawaad Mahmood
<jawaad.mahmood@example.com> wrote:
> I am running NTT Flez Hikari to my mansion; it's slow as molasses.  I
> originally thought it was because of our neighbours upstairs; "hogging
> bandwidth" on a shared line or something.

It's been a long time, but I think I signed up for something like NTT
Flez Hikari and I vaguely remember being told that the bandwidth is
shared with others in the building.  So, yes, if someone in the
building was hogging it, then it would affect me.  But this was a long
time ago...almost 10 years.  May not be relevant any more.

> However, today I setup a Squid3 proxy server on a cloud server I own.  When
> I connected to that (and connected my wife), all of a sudden all sorts of
> slow / dropped connection problems went away.

But aren't you at home connecting to your cloud server via your NTT Flez Hikari?

Sounds a bit odd...but interested in what you find out.

This is unrelated to anything I can control (since it's at work), but
I was connecting to this USA site from work this week at 200 kb/s.  I
can get 10 MB/s from home to the same USA site.  So I download the
file and then I can send the file from home to work at 10 MB/s.
Difference in transfer time was like days versus an hour...

Likewise, scratching my head over this, but it's a problem with my
workplace's connection...not much I can do about it other than
gripe...  But maybe whatever technique(s) you find out can help me
sort out my work problem?!?

Ray