Re: [tlug] DDB/CJKV-E Web Host under DDOS attack

On 2016-01-02 09:39 +0000 (Sat), Jason Frisch wrote:

>> [...stuff about DDOS attacks on Linode etc....]
>
> I'd be happy to provide hosting for you guys for free in Japan
> (depending on the size of course)

Yeah, I sometimes do hosting for friends and acquaintances, too, and it
works ok, with the caveat that it would totally collapse under an attack
like this.

Speaking of which, has anybody here been using https://www.netlify.com/
or any similar service?

I expect that a bunch of us are using github.io, and maybe even some
non-github-io-users are using Jeckyll or similar to build "static" sites
(which are not as static as you might think, espeically if you're using
node.js--maybe there's a TLUG talk in there).

Something like WWWJDIC is actually a perfect candidate for a CDN[1]. If
you get a bit clever with it, the attackers can only take down the less
important parts of the page, but the important basic bits will still be
there, and be there fast.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network for those of
us who haven't been spending rather too much time on planning delivery
of web pages.

And surely we've all known that things like WordPress and Drupal are
true evil incarnate, anyway, right? (Note: what they are trying to do is
not evil, it's their implementation of the idea that is. But hey, you
let PHP programmers at an idea, and well....)

Huh, I just got this weird idea that a CDN is the inverse of a botnet.
So I searched "opposite of denial," and it seems that CDNs provide
"distributed prosecution of service." Yay, Internet!

(Oh, and seriously, I'm getting pretty darn interested in a sort of
"distributed computing" thing that distributes the web processing load
in this way--much to the user's browser, some to web servers with no
persistent local storage, and the core stuff to "cloud" persistent
local storage. Interesting thing about it these days is JavaScript:
what with node.js and compilers for "real" [i.e.: efficient to program]
languages that compile to JS, there's a lot of room for moving code
around dynamically, even perhaps from second to second. Imagine that
less popular search queries get calculated on the user's PC, but more
popular ones that happen to be difficult get shared. Hmmm!)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.