Re: [tlug] Best IME for an "i18n power user" on linux?

Hi Darren,

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> I'm using ibus+anthy, and sorting out the mess has been regularly pushed
> down my todo list for the past year! What mess?
>
>   * The ja/en switch in the IME is global, applying to all windows. So I
> can switch from writing an email in Japanese to a bash window and find
> myself typing "火t" ("cat") :-(
>   (The option to make it per-window existed but apparently a newer
> version removed this function!)

I just switched over from ibus + anthy to ibus + mozc this week.  For
reasons that I could never understand, I had the same setup in two
different Ubuntu systems and one had ibus + anthy working and the
other did not.  Out of frustration, I looked for an alternative and
ibus + mozc's installation "just worked".  That is, I got it working
on one machine and repeated the steps and it worked on the second.
Not going back to ibus + anthy anymore...

The local ja/en switch, though, is available.  Within System Settings
(in the GUI), I can select Text Entry and choose whether it operates
globally or locally.  i.e., I see something like this picture:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LanguageAndText#PC

This is Ubuntu 15.04 (yes, in another fit of frustration this week --
I've been in a moody week :-P -- I upgraded Ubuntu; so far, so good).

Ray