Re: [tlug] Chasing the GHOST in my machine

Hi all,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:58 AM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> On 01/30/2015 10:41 AM, Edmund Edgar wrote:
>> With most updates you'd just have to restart the process for whatever
>> had been updated, but in this case it's glibc, which is used by all
>> kinds of things some of which may not be painless to restart on a
>> running system, so the easiest way to be sure is just to reboot the box.
>
> Good advice.  To be truthful, I used WIN from v.2.0 and developed a
> habit of rebooting my O/S after every major update.  However, I _do_
> check to be sure that updates are system-wide before doing so in Debian.

Sorry, digressing from libc6 here...

With Ubuntu and probably other distributions, if you've done an update
that requires a restart, it tells you when you log in.  I presume that
such a message is accurate?

My problem is that I administer servers that I rarely have a chance to
reboot -- about once a year.  People are running processes that can
run for weeks or months at a time.  A proposal to reboot is usually
met with groans.  :-)  Does anyone know, under Ubuntu and using
aptitude or apt-get, how I can update only those packages that do not
require a reboot?  Or if it's bad to upgrade everything and ignore the
suggestion to reboot for weeks or months?

Thank you!

Ray