Re: [tlug] Is Japan closer to U.S. or ...?

On 12/19/2014 09:05, Darren Cook wrote:
In terms of internet distance, is a server hosted in Western U.S. or
Singapore closer to Japan?  Ping times, available bandwidth, latency:
I'm not too worried about how exactly "closer" is defined.

The US one maybe closer in topology terms but unlikely you end up with something faster. From experiences that I have, a so called "continental hop" is 100ms at best.

The key to your answer is investing in traceroute research from your neck-of-the-woods. You may have 4 very fast "LAN-type" hops and 1 between operators slowing down... Really depends. There is no definitive answer, I think.

Doesn't Amazon operate full-blown locally already in this town once called Edo, my stupid question.

http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2011/03/02/announcing-asia-pacific-tokyo-region/

Cheers everybody,

Fernando.