[tlug] Is Japan closer to U.S. or ...?

In terms of internet distance, is a server hosted in Western U.S. or
Singapore closer to Japan?  Ping times, available bandwidth, latency:
I'm not too worried about how exactly "closer" is defined.

(I was going to setup some ec2 nodes in various places and run some ping
tests, but that is a couple of hours work, and I thought someone might
already have done this and published results.)

(Or I could look at http://www.submarinecablemap.com/ and guess there is
not much in it: U.S. is further away, but there will be more hops to get
to Singapore.)

Darren