Re: [tlug] Linux distro compatible with 740MHz Celeron / 457MB RAM

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:09:12 -0500
jep200404@example.com wrote:

> > ... 457MB RAM ...
>
> That's an unusual amount.
> What/where are you getting that number from?

I'd like to know that, too.

One hypothesis would be a computer with some faulty but otherwise stable RAM. It's perfectly possible to use memmap to tell the kernel to stay the hell away from specified regions. I'm currently doing to on my HTPC[1].

[1] Strictly speaking, it's an entire module which is faulty. The reason I don't just remove it altogether is because the motherboard doesn't seem to like my new RAM sticks alone, and needs the old stick to trigger some fallback mode. Presumably.