Re: [tlug] [meta] focus, projects, series

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Travis Cardwell
<travis.cardwell@example.com> wrote:
> TLUG is primarily about Linux, but many members have additional common
> interests.  (Insert your own beer joke here.)  We therefore have a number
> of presentations at technical meetings that are not related to Linux.
> During our discussion, many non-Linux topics (programming and LaTeX
> topics, for example) came up.
>
> Do you like having such a wider variety of topics, or would you prefer
> more focus on Linux?  If you have an opinion on this, feel free to speak up.

I'm not physically in Tokyo anymore but I do visit from time-to-time
and maybe it will overlap with a TLUG meeting one of these days...
:-D

But, my 2 yen is that talking about other topics should be fine, as
long as (1) the technical meetings' organizer(s) gave prior approval
and (2) that the speaker keeps in mind that the general audience is
interested in Linux and the further the topic is from Linux, more time
is needed to cover "introductory" material.  And the less chance the
talk can go deeper.  But that's ok...

While Linux brought us all together, I think it is safe to say that
there are other topics that would be of interest to a large part of
the group...

> A few people have suggested working on TLUG projects.  With members that
> have a wide variety of skills, we could probably make some pretty cool stuff.
>
> Bruce is particularly interested in projects.  He suggests working with
> Tokyo HackerSpace, which has resources that includes some land in Chiba.
>
> Is there any interest in TLUG projects?

Do you mean starting up and contributing as a group to a software
project (i.e., on GitHub, etc.) that is related to TLUG's interests or
do you mean something more physical...more "commercial"?

> Another idea is to do a series of presentations on a given topic, perhaps
> devoting a set amount of time at the end of each technical meeting.  For
> example, a series on setting up a Linux server might have topics such as:
> * installation
> * firewall configuration
> * SSH (security, keys, etc.)
> * ...
> * profit
>
> I believe that the consensus was that we do not meet frequently enough for
> a series to work well.

Too bad I'm not in Tokyo for any of this!  That would be nice to have;
there is a lot of information on the Internet, but a lot of it is out
of date.  And someone's blog post might be wrong, but ends up highly
ranked on Google.  I'm probably old school, but it seems interactions
with a speaker still can't replace Google.  :-)

Ray