Re: [tlug] problems updating bash in ubuntu

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM,  <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:42:17 -0700, Hector Akamine <akamine@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I am getting the following error when trying to update bash in a
>> Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS system
>>
>> # apt-get install bash
>
> I note that your prose uses the word "update",
> but your command uses the word "install".
> Please study the following commands.
>
>     sudo apt-get update
>     sudo apt-get upgrade

Hmmmm...what Hector says appears correct to me.  The apt-get
documentation on my Ubuntu system says:

       install
           install is followed by one or more packages desired for
           installation or upgrading. Each package is a package name, not a
           This is also the target to use if you want to upgrade one or more
           already-installed packages without upgrading every package you have
           on your system. Unlike the "upgrade" target, which installs the
           newest version of all currently installed packages, "install" will
           install the newest version of only the package(s) specified. Simply
           provide the name of the package(s) you wish to upgrade, and if a
           newer version is available, it (and its dependencies, as described
           above) will be downloaded and installed.

"update" updates the index about the various packages.  And "upgrade"
upgrades all of the packages on the system to their latest version.
Unfortunately, you can't put a package name after "upgrade".

So, indeed, "install" is used to both install a new package and
upgrade an existing one.  I never gave it much thought until now...it
is clearly counter-intuitive.  However, I've frequently done:

apt-get install <list of packages>

and it's good that it doesn't go through the list of packages and
generate an error saying "package X is already installed; did you mean
'upgrade'?"

Ray