Re: [tlug] Any graphics experts here?

On 2014-07-24 21:01, Nicolas Limare wrote:
The good tool to process Ps/PDF files is ghostscript or one of its
frontend scripts. They do on the command-line some of the things
Illustrator or Acrobat can do in a GUI.

For you it could be:

     ps2pdf -dColorConversionStrategy=/Gray
            -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray
            -dAutoRotatePages=/None
            -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress rgb.pdf gray.pdf

I tested on one of my files, it seems to work; you can play with the
options listed at http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.14/Ps2pdf.htm

Many thanks! I did this, and the file size dropped to about 60% (perhaps meaning that the numbers are not all in triplicate minus compression?!) I've tried sending it again, and we'll see what happens.

My reading suggested that strictly there is no such thing as the "colorspace of a PDF", only of its components... I wonder if they have this system set up for printing always on a colour laser printer, but the price depends on whether some software thinks the document is colour or not. Anyway, if this doesn't work I'll just ask for my money back.

Brian Chandler