[tlug] [OT] Phones in Japan again

I have a T-mobile account here in the US, where it's common to lock a
phone, that is, ensure that it can only be used with one carrier.

Is this locking common in Japan?  I ask because my wife is over there, and
her sister is getting rid of her Galaxy.  I'm wondering, if the phone were
brought back here, if I could use it with T-mobile if I bought a SIM card.

At present, all I know is that it's a Samsung Galaxy.  I don't know what
carrier she is using--I don't know if it's as bad in Japan as it is in the
US, where the carriers pretty much had us under their thumbs, though
apparently customer backlash got bad enough so that the companies have give
the customers some rights. (T-mobile was actually not bad about that, but
Verizon and AT&T are known for various things over the years.)

Sigh, let me stop, before I get started on another rant about ISPs and cell
phone companies and bribed politicians.  I think, in my old age, I blame
everything on corrupt politicians.  :)

Anyway, if anyone knows the answer, I'd be grateful.   (Not to solve the
problem of corrupt politicians, my original question about whether the
phone should work here.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6