Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

Hoi,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:42:02PM -0300, [SCA] SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. / Schwartz Consultores Associados Ltda. wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 09:54:09 PM Christian Horn wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 04:09:05AM +0900, Raider Sail wrote:
> > > ○ Install original disto with LVM and room for snapshots so you can
> roll
> > > back bad updates. ○ be practiced with your rescue media and LVM
> commands.
> > > ○ copy /boot with tar to /boot.tgz before LVM snap so you can
> unpack it
> > > after rollback of /.
> > BTW, for the adventorous, one can nowadays on newer distros also
> > have vmlinuz/initramfs live on LVM.  This can be tried out i.e. on
> > Fedora 19 or 20.
> > There are cases where it does not work reliably, so it did not make
> > it into Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
> >
> > With that functionality one is no longer forced to have /boot on a
> > partition, the / volume can then be snapshot and directly contains
> > /boot.
>
> " SUSE " user and fan myself therefore acquainted to the " BTRFS "
> filesystem with its slew of great features such as online defrag, sell-
> healing powers and the list goes on.
>
> ... That's right, "BTRFS " being your "next-gen" filesystem and no, isn't a
> "beta" file system.

I think so too.. as does my employer, contributing to development.
It's just that currently it might not meet stability expectations
of everybody.
A colleague did ~6 months ago just a loop which called mkfs.btrfs,
mounted, copied some files onto it, tried to read the files,
umounted, started again.  Failed after some loops, ~12 IIRC.

> And listen to this, you will be able to revert the whole shebang ONLINE.

LVM snapshots can be merged back as well.  If the mergeback is for
the root-volume, you need a reboot for that.  But one would need
that anyway when kernel or glibc were part of the upgrade..

cheers,
Chris