Re: [tlug] USB3 hard disks

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 10:12 PM, [SCA] SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. /
Schwartz Consultores Associados Ltda. <fgs@example.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 01, 2014 02:15:09 PM Darren Cook wrote:
>> Quick question: I've two USB3 sockets. If I plug two hard disks in, and
>> want to copy the entire contents of one drive to the other drive,
>> roughly how long will it take? Does anyone do something like this as
>> part of their backup strategy? (No longer having RAID-1 on either my
>> main notebook, or my backup device(s), is making me nervous.)
>
> Dear Darren, quick drop here, there is this immediate answer to your
> task; have you ever used http://clonezilla.org/  ?

Clonezilla is for backup of systems, not files (e.g. photos), although
to a hammer everything looks like a nail, so one can use it. Unless
you reinstall many systems or use Windoze or other OS, doing a simple
diskimage (with pv) is good enough for up to say 10 machines,
clonezilla is an overkill.

> There is no point simply copying your files on without some degree of
> compression, some level of management, etc.

I call it "lazy backup". I have a few copies of all my data (well
most) on several physical disks, some of them usually off-line (these
days 4TB is still enough to get me all the data I care about in a
single disk). Most of this is digital photos and digitized photos.
Every once in a while (1-2 times/year) I sync one of those disks to my
on-line array. Once in a year or two, I sync one of the drives and
carry it back to Bulgaria, then bring the older drive (very off-site
backup).

If I need photos from 2012, I can get any of those drives and use it
(I always mount it RO, unless syncing).
If I need recent photos, they are on-line, or I need to sync them to
one of drives first.
All drives use ext4 since a few years ago, no compression or
management whatsoever. I simply can afford to do full-backup when I
need it.

Cheers,
Kalin.