Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On 2014-05-17 at 13:00:27 Josh Glover wrote:
> Just for fun, you could try soaking the broken keyboard in clean water
> overnight, then letting it dry completely for several days. It may
> well work, as there's a good chance that your broken row just has
> some dried coffee gunk shorting out a couple circuits.

I used to do this for one of my very first tech jobs, when i was still a
university student. The university offered very cheap computer rentals,
so there was a machine in almost every dorm room. And as one may
imagine, some of them got pretty nasty and would stop working due to too
much stuff spilled in them. We'd take apart keyboards, and sometimes
actual computers, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes, then put them
on an air vent overnight to dry.

Electronics are surprisingly resilient to water, as long as they are not
powered when they are wet. If you have a dirty motherboard to wash, just
remember to remove the clock battery. And be sure that everything is
completely dried out before applying power again. Emphasis on
*completely*... water likes to hide under chips. Or at least it did when
i cleaned computer parts; more things use modern surface mount
technology today and i'd guess that water is less inclined to flow
underneath those.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com