Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On 7 May 2014 10:23, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:

> I've been using Ubuntu 10.04 since mid-2010, and I've never felt the
> slightest need to move. It's been rock-solid, does everything I want, the
> IME ran out-of-the-box, etc. Certainly the best distro I've used in my 20+
> years of Linux userdom. (Part of the reason for not moving is the fact
> that my Compaq CQ61 hasn't skipped a beat either. In the past it was
> the approaching end-of-life of the notebook that drove the distro change.[*])
[...]
> [*] I was obviously jinxed by writing this email. Just after I wrote about the
> Compaq not missing a beat I knocked a cup of coffee all over it. It's now
> powered down and propped up to drain dry. Fingers crossed....

When I powered it up again all seemed well, until I discovered most of the
keys in the ZXC... row and below no longer worked. I quickly bought an
el cheapo USB external keyboard which mercifully worked fine. Then I
ordered a replacement keyboard for the Compaq, which I have just installed.
All is back the way it was. An expensive cup of coffee.

I was impressed that there were plenty of replacement keyboards and
suppliers around, and also that there were detailed how-tos in several places.
I guess keyboard replacements for notebooks is pretty common, although
this is the first I have had to do in 16 years.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University