Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

On 2014-05-14 at 16:01:17 Jim Breen wrote:
> all examination papers had to be submitted electronically, and
> that the only acceptable format was MS Word.

Several years ago i took a course that required electronic submission of
assignments. The syllabus was specified that papers much be in MS Word
format. My usual document flow is to create LaTeX document in emacs and
compile them to PDF, with no conventional word processors being
involved. What i did was wrote my papers as usual. Then i took the PDFs
and converted them to TIFF graphics, then used OpenOffice to import the
TIFF and saved it as a Word document. The result met the submission
requirements. Of course my files were a couple orders of magnitude
larger in file size than other students papers of the same number of
pages. And my files were not editable.

I explained to the professor what i had done and why. The next year for
that course PDFs were allowed.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com