Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

> I don't know anybody who has switched to Apple who is unhappy with it
> (except you).  Certainly most of my graduate students are happy with
> their MacBooks, although some still have Windows notebooks.

You have both sample bias there (people unhappy with Mac will have
switched back to Windows or Linux, unless it was there first computer),
and also [damn-forgot-the-jargon]: people will convince themselves they
like something so they don't feel bad having spent so much money on it.

IMHO, the best UI is the one that feels familiar, which is why both
Apple and Microsoft throw so much money at schools.

That is also why all Apple products suck, again IMHO: I've never managed
to get past the "I can't get it to work, there is no button to do XXX"
stage on either an iMac or an iPhone. I'm sure if I someone forced me
(i.e. paid me) to use an iMac for a month, *and* I could connect a
proper 3-button, scroll-wheel mouse to it, then I'd be as productive as
I am on Linux.

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!