Re: [tlug] Living on the command line...

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> I realized halfway through that presenting a command line really sucks
> on projector and have been thinking about what can be done.
> Any ideas?
>
> I saw a few people had laptops or tablets, do you think doing some
> kind of on-line (or Wi-Fi LAN) presentation is feasible?
>
> That can be used for on-line as well (so just audio gets transmitted),
> although they would have missed the pipe demo ;-)
>

> I'll try to get the commands we did today with a very short comment as
> notes and send it for people to have a look (somewhere next week).

Sorry, but I didn't get a chance to watch the broadcast.  But, IMHO,
demos of the command line rarely turn out well.  Some technological
problem will ruin things some how.  But the other problem is font
size.  Showing it live versus having a slide that shows this:

>>> print "Hello, world!"
Hello, world!

is no different.  If someone in your audience doesn't believe you and
wants to see it run "live", then they have issues.  :-)  (Or, you can
do the live demo after you had gone through the slides first.)

Ray

PS:  Maybe I have blocked it from my memory  :-), but I do vaguely
remember giving a talk with a command-line on the screen.  As the
audience started to talk among themselves and then drift off to sleep,
I began to realize how bad an idea it was.  By then, it was too late
and I was stuck...had to continue on...