Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On Sunday, May 04, 2014 09:27:37 PM Bruno Raoult wrote:
> If I do, what would be your advice?

Simple answer. Real world tells you there is no such thing as " apt-get
distribution upgrade " from major versions. True for the Ubuntu family, true
for anybody else. SUSE offers updated BTRFS file system, for example.

You mount your image, wipe your data out of the boot device and off you go
30-min later reinstating on a clean, stable system. I call it " base-camp " in
mountaineering terms. In this case, this initial effort for the next 5 years.

Plus, addressing some of the Ubuntu criticism. Whether you like it or not,
it's de facto Linux desktop. Meaning, on a running operation where you often
need to react fast, you can't count on (according to Micro$hit, we all are)
hobbists like " Mint ". It's clear to me that Canonical needs "Unity" as a
business case. Very good on your 10-inch netbook screen, BTW. Look for
something like "Ubuntu GNOME" as your "base-camp" if using a multi-screen
setup and tweak it to whatever you like.

Regards, Fernando.