[tlug] Handling Incompatible Dependencies (was Re: Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues)

On Wed, 7 May 2014 01:31:37 +0800, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> I wonder if there is any Linux distribution that allows you to keep
> your system at one version but upgrade software like your web browser
> in an isolated way such that all of its dependencies are put somewhere
> so as not to disturb the rest of the system[.]

I do not know.

For Python programs, virtualenv[1] allows different Python
programs to use different versions of Python packages.
So you can have an old Python program using old Python
packages on the same system as a new Python program
using new Python packages. Virtualenv is just a Python thing.

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv
    https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/