Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:35 AM, steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2014 12:20 PM, Bruno Raoult wrote:
>> I know you were joking, me too :)
> Actually no -- I'm not entirely joking.  Some of upgrades are necessary
> and make sense but others are marketing.  For instance I think both
> Windows 8 and Unity are an attempt to put the same UI on tablets and
> everything else and to me that makes little sense.
>
> Ubuntu pumps out upgrades at regular intervals 'cause it makes sense to
> them.  If my system meets my needs and doesn't have any security holes
> -- why upgrade?

Actually, we shouldn't put the blame on Ubuntu.  Ubuntu LTS' security
patches are now provided for 5 years.  Even though Ubuntu puts out a
new version every 6 months, no one has to upgrade twice a year.

I recently upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 and 13.10 to 14.04 on another
system.  The experience was roughly the same.  No, not perfect.  But
the former wasn't significantly harder than the latter.

We ought to separate our desire to get the latest versions of the
software we run from Ubuntu making us upgrade.  Anyone can follow the
LTS path and will only go through the troubles Bruno is experiencing
once every few years.

Debian versions are far less frequent and that was the complaint many
people had -- outdated software. Ubuntu gave all of us an alternative
to Debian (while still having Debian under the hood)...

Ray