Re: [tlug] Locking an HTML Doc

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> Actually, I was hoping CL would.
>
> PDF is (often) hard to data mine, and doesn't adapt to different screen
> sizes. Perhaps the organization wants people to read docs on smartphones
> as easily as PCs. (As others have already said, asking for markdown,
> rather than PDF, HTML or DOC, would make most sense. Markdown is being
> requested more and more by publishers, though only in the computer
> book/mag industry (AFAIK); academics still want latex.)

"Academics" here probably only refer to certain disciplines like
computer science and engineering.  In most other areas such as the
humanities and the life sciences, Microsoft Word is (probably) still
used and producing the final version is often given to a third party
copy-editor.

But even for CS academics, I think PDF is preferred if all you want is
read-only access.  If I just want to read a paper, I don't think I
want to download all the dependencies and compile it...

Ray