Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> It's true that the lower levels of the Japanese bureaucracy are
> wonderfully, even astonishingly uncorrupt.  It's basically not
> possible to bribe public-facing public servants, and they certainly
> don't demand "tips".  The higher levels, though, are a different
> matter.  Bureaucratically arranged cartels, political contributions,
> amakudari, school boards (not to mention teachers) ignoring (even
> systematically covering up) "ijime": the list is just plain endless,
> and just as thoroughly entrenched as the more cash-driven corruption
> of certain other societies.

You've got a point here.  One would expect that the lower levels would
be easier to corrupt so that they could climb up the social ladder or
because they aren't paid enough to argue for a lengthy period with a
customer.  But no...they *usually* hold their ground.

As for the higher levels, I guess that is part of other cultures too.
But those kinds of corruption is also less direct than a public
servant telling you the deadline was 5 minutes ago...so probably
easier to do without feeling guilty.

Interesting that you lump teachers together with "higher levels";
sadly, some cultures don't respect teachers as much as Japan.  For
some, teaching is seen as a "lower" level...

Ray