[tlug] IMEs in Mint?

I'm thinking my next computer will run Linux Mint 16 (intending to
upgrade to Mint 17, which should be LTS).

I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories (or any advice generally)
about getting Japanese input working. (My current machine (ubuntu 10.04)
uses Anthy, but also has IMEs for Arabic, Chinese "py", and Chinese
pinyin, so I'm hoping  installing those won't be an issue either.)

I seem to have the choice between Mate and Cinnamon desktops; will that
choice influence availability and quality of IMEs?

Darren