Re: [tlug] Pretending to be outside Japan?

On 17 January 2014 16:26,  <fgs@example.com> wrote:

> On 01/17/2014 11:40 AM, Benjamin Tayehanpour wrote:
>
>> Well, yes. I mean, if you don't make your virtual product available to
>> me, then you obviously aren't interested in my money, so I might as
>> well pirate it at no loss to you. Even counting missed profits, which
>> is dubious.
>
> Yeah, go on moron making harder for legitimate consumers online... Piracy
> does play an important role here.

Yes, "piracy" (armed robbery of a ship at sea?) *does* play an
important role; I think the content owners should be overjoyed by The
Pirate Bay. What a tool for market research!

Every torrent download represents an opportunity for profit, IMO.
There are a lot of people like us out there who have disposable income
that we can spend on media, and actually prefer to do it all legally.
I'm overjoyed by Netflix, and would actually pay about twice as much
as I pay now (79 SEK -> ~ 200 SEK / month) if I had access to twice as
much content. And I would also pay for access to interesting new
release movies earlier than they make it to Netflix, if iTunes or
Amazon had a price point of around 35 SEK / 350 JPY / 3 USD / 3 EUR /
3 GBP for unlimited streaming of that title. But 50 SEK / 500 JPY /
... to "rent" and 80 SEK / 800 JPY / ... to buy (I'm not sure if that
means unlimited streaming or a physical download, as I've never
"bought" a movie at that price) is absurd, which means that the
content resellers miss out on around 200 SEK / 2000 JPY of my money
every month (half from Netflix, half from Amazon / iTunes), and the
content owners miss out on their share.

Instead, I torrent content unavailable to me, and if I really like the
movie, I might buy the physical media (much like books, I like the
tactile experience of putting a DVD in the player and sitting back on
the couch with a bowl of popcorn).

I don't see how this makes me and / or Benjamin a moron. I'd rather
say it makes the executives of content owning companies morons for not
making it possible for us to give them money.

Cheers,
Josh

PS. Putting on my Listmaster hat for a moment, it's not really OK to
call people names. Calling ideas moronic is perfectly fine (if
probably the easiest way to ensure that the other chap stops listening
to anything you say), but if you think the person espousing said idea
is a moron, just keep that to yourself, please.