Re: [tlug] Japan to Tax E-Content

Hi,

> Another reason to hate Abe and the LDP.  By 2015, you'll have to pay
> shouhizei on the content you download from overseas, a move to
> "protect" domestic book retailers. Yeah, sure, I believe that. There
> are so many English-language e-book sales outlets in our local
> shotengai ... and I walk right by all of them to go to Amazon ...

I don't understand the hate here. If you agree to pay shouhizei on
every physical good you buy in Japan, produced locally or imported,
why should immaterial goods not be governed by the same fiscal policy?

How this will be enforced is another matter; I expect a concerted
management between the administration and big online merchants, and no
"big evil firewall", of course.

PS: 5% or even 8% is a pretty low tax rate, as shown by
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax#Tax_rates

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F