Re: [tlug] Japan to Tax E-Content

On 2014-01-15 12:58, Stephen Lee wrote:
CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
Another reason to hate Abe and the LDP.  By 2015, you'll have to pay
shouhizei on the content you download from overseas, a move to "protect"
domestic book retailers.

I suppose that will work with Amazon, but how do they do that to
companies that have no physical presence in Japan?

I suppose they will only force big companies to open up offices in Japan. Turkiye does something similar. (Turkish) government says that they're doing that for taxing advertisement incomes but they are actually using those local offices to push censorship, making it way easier for them to have somebody to phone and make them delete/disable contents. Only difference with Japan would be, Japan might be really considering economics, also control over the industry as a side benefit (or the other way around).

Furkan Mustafa