Re: [tlug] MP3 normalization

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > I should think it'd be because listeners of "classical" music
 > (i. e.  what non-listeners call everything (including the actual
 > classical era) from renaissance to romantic or even all the way up
 > to contemporary) were among the first to abandon radio for local
 > media,

Could be.  However, over the last few years I've ridden with several
drivers in the U.S. and Japan whose radios were set to "classical"
stations.  Of course, that may just have been "driving music" to them.

 > stations do, even though you with contemporary pop music usually don't
 > slam more than twenty or thirty years together.

It's not really a matter of "years", of course.

 > Not everyone can hear the difference between CD releases of varying
 > quality, but I think everyone would be able to hear the difference
 > between Mozart and, say, Stenhammar, and show a clear preference of
 > one over the other.

I recommend to you Axelrod and Cohen's /Harnessing Complexity/.  The
reference here is to an appropriate balance of "exploration"
(listening to hear new things of putative high quality in their
genera) vs. "exploitation" (listening to hear things you know you are
going to like).  Dynamics being such a large part of classical music,
I would suppose those in the process of "exploring" would want
accurate dynamics (to the extent possible).