Re: [tlug] Making an Android device bilingual

On 2013/12/14 16:49, Nikolay Elenkov wrote:
Do they allow you to use the standard google Japanese IME?  That's what
I use on my Nook HD+ and Nexus and it works fine.  The Paperwhite only
gives access to the keyboards Amazon supples (ATOK??) but that seems
adequate for the trivial stuff I do on that e-reader.
The so called 'FireOS' used on Kindles is a lot less customizable than
stock Android. You cannot install a new input method/keyboard, change
the launcher or install a browser from the app store. That's presumably
to make it easier to use...

If you are lucky a Bluetooth keyboard would work with the built-in
Japanese IME, if not, not many options if you don't want to root the
device.
You can side-load a compatible keyboard if you want. I did that, and am able to write in Japanese just fine on my English Kindle Fire (8.9" from last year.) After jailbreaking it you can put even more keyboards on it, but if you use the Amazon ecosystem it probably is better not to jailbreak.

Dave E.
Disclaimer: I might be employed at a large river-themed ecommerce company, but not in any capacity related to Kindle stuff.