Re: [tlug] Japanese Input: Making It Work

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 06:55:37AM +0900, Edward Middleton wrote:
> On 12/06/2013 08:58 AM, CL wrote:
> >           ... HPLIP is actually one of the
> > best programmed and best documented packages in all of Linuxdom.  And
> > their support is excellent.
>
> I don't know that I would agree.  They redirect you (for an urgent
> driver update) from the GUI no less, to a page that says download all
> the development tools and recompile the driver tarball.  For a printer
> driver that has a ubuntu package, that seems a bit lame to me.

My problematic experience with hplip was with RH and Fedora packages.
I don't remember if I tried with Ubuntu packages as well--seems to me that
with Ubuntu and its variants, specifically Lubuntu, it worked without
issue.

With CentOS and Fedora, from time to time, I have had to download from the
hplip site and manually install.  Usually, with two different cheap all in
one inkjets, the problem was with scanning, though, not printing.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6