[tlug] Japanese Input: Making It Work

This is a continuation of the "Japanese Input on Kubuntu 12.04" thread but it talks about things that were in about four different sub-threads. So, I'm starting the discussion over.

After maybe 6~8 weeks of Extreme Futzing (technical term) I have a working desktop that makes me happy and uses all of the familiar Debian commands that I'm familiar with. And, although it doesn't work with all of the latest and greatest, it works. And, all of us may have been blaming the wrong program for the iBus input problems -- I've found that upgrading to LibreOffice v.4.x causes most of the problems and it doesn't appear to be KDE related ... maybe ... probably ... with some degree of certainty.

What I ended up with:

Debian 7.02 Wheezy amd64 + KDE. iBus + mosc works in all programs (see fudges below).

As installed -- the third time (the first two produced unstable results that don't exist in this installation and I was unable to explain or reproduce) -- things mostly _Just Worked as Intended_. I had E<->J switching at the keyboard in all of my chosen applications.

Using the debian backports for Firefox, I was able to upgrade IceWeasel to a level equivalent to the latest version of Firefox (25.0), which made all of my Do Not Track and privacy Add-Ons work properly and made me less of a joke to the websites I need to use for business.

I wanted the latest version of Claws Mail (3.9.2) because the standard installed version (3.8.1) has problems with the Oxygen theme and the upgrade fixes a lot of niggles including a disturbing new tendency to seize up the screen and reboot the machine without warning when I was using LibreOffice or if I changed screens in IceWeasel when Claws-Mail was receiving new mail. Trying to download and install .debs of the new program version kept producing error messages about missing lib-files (mostly) that "-f" didn't fix. I found that if I switched my Distribution Preferences to "wheezy-backports" I could install it with Synaptic, which repaired the broken packages for me.

But, wait! There was more! When I switched to "wheezy-backports" the Kernel was upgraded to 3.10 from 3.02 (upgrading itself to 3.11 the following morning) and LibreOffice was "upgraded from v.3.5 to v.4.1. And, it was no longer possible to switch between languages when writing documents using the keyboard. At first, I could switch languages on the keyboard, but there was no confirmation from the systray icon. After a couple of successful switches, I could only switch into Japanese but had to grab the mouse and switch to English with the mouse and, after a few switches that way, the only way to change languages was to restart iBus. *sigh*

So, I changed my Distribution Preferences from "wheezy-backports" to "stable" and uninstalled LibreOffice. After I rebooted, Synaptic said the official version of LibreOffice had fallen back to 3.5and, after running "install -f" was able to install that version from the command line. And iBus works again. I filed a report with Bugzilla, since the reported problem and fix they recommended didn't work.

Other issues that needed to be solved were setting up multiarch so I could run Skype (which is 32-bit) on amd64 and, due to the kernel upgrades, HPLIP had to be manually installed from a tarball but now my two HP printers and fax all work properly. The downside of the manual installation is that I ma no longer able to configure our printers for both Bluetooth and Ethernet or WiFi and Bluetooth any longer and I had to decide how to configure each only to accept print jobs one way each.

So, all-in-all, I am pleased with my new setup and I learned a lot more about setting up and maintaining my OS in the process.

--
CL