Re: [tlug] Japanese Input: Making It Work

CL writes:

 > Nossir.  I meant "Compatible with and acceptable to the access frontends
 > of high-security sites produced by the same people that made the
 > Obamacare website the success it is; and their Japanese counterparts at
 > Kantei.  And, all of the consultants who work so well together to
 > produce such uniform, compatible code."

That's what I meant.  I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with that
... on second thought, if you didn't, your clients probably wouldn't
need you, they could hire somebody at half the price. ;-)

 > > Often it's possible to get all features by installing from source
 > > .debs -- the configure process will correct for kernel and library
 > > issues.  It's been a long time since I've done that though.  I do
 > > remember it often required fiddling with the Debian patches, which is
 > > probably more trouble than it's worth.  Just FYI.

 > Installing from the .debs produced a regular, repeatable error

"Source" debs whose contents need to be built before installing,
rather than simply unpacked and mv'ed into place.  Not the usual
binary .debs.  RPM conventionally uses a different extension for
package files containing sources to be compiled before installing, but
last I looked Debian didn't.  (I don't know about Ubuntu, my
experiments with Ubuntu started with "disappointing" and have gone
monotonically downhill from there.  I'd rather use Windows 7 than
Ubuntu 13.x as a workstation, although both are 100% unsatisfactory as
server hosts.)

Speaking of Ubuntu, is the project going to disband after Zydeco
Zebra?  After all, they've run out of letters. :-)