Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 11/23/2013 09:41 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 01:32:50PM +0900, CL wrote:

- The bad news is iBus ... it installed English, eliminated Anthy, and
changed the input switching selection from my choice to "Super + space,"
just as it had done in Kubuntu running on my work desktop.
I'm not sure that this particular choice is an Ubuntu one.  I believe
Fedora is doing the same thing, so it's quite possibly an ibus choice.
It's easy enough to change back when running ibus-setup.

Uhhh, no. It is preset, and the setting is cast in concrete. I tried uninstalling, erasing the setup file, and then reinstalling iBus, which produced the same result as above. Any attempt to change the setting takes you to a large, friendly box marked "Disabled" that cannot be clicked or changed. Erasing the preset only takes choices away and does not allow you any opportunity to replace the missing setting. DAMHIKIJK.

It may be the newer version's choice, which may be why you're not having
the issue with Debian. Not at all thoroughly tested by me though

Nor by me. But the iBus versions are the same in Debian 7 and Xubuntu. The behaviour is different.
It seems that almost every one will have their own set of problems. For example, Fedora will often be full of solutions in search of problems that get in my way, which CentOS 6.x hasn't yet used, but CentOS will be too old for something else that I need.
I just didn't like Fedora. I can't say exactly why, it just didn't feel like something I wanted to have on my PC. And, there's something about the Gnome desktop that makes me think its code was first drawn in crayon on the back of a brown paper lunchbag. I am gravitating toward KDE and LXDE for look and feel, but am still stumped for what OS to run underneath them.

--
CL