Re: [tlug] Fwd: SYMPOSIUM> Humanities Studies in the Digital Age and the Role of Buddhist Studies, UTokyo 11/16-17

Charles Muller writes:
 > On 2013年11月11日 22:49, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > True to your theme, I can't say the same for u-tokyo.ac.jp.
 > > Hazukashii-sugiru! (imagine Tomo-chin's voice here).

 > Aah, yes, hazukashii indeed. We've given up entirely on the older
 > generation...

Please don't give up on changing things.  Todai providing a clue or
two is the best hope this country has.  I know that *we* (at the "MIT
of Japan" :-P ) are going in the wrong direction: concentrating on
シロアリ育成[1], nuking our MBA and MPP programs, stuff like that.[2]

Footnotes:
[1]  Ie, we're concentrating on producing people who know the
engineering side of planning to pour concrete, but very little about
why or when to do so.  Maybe not such a bad idea in Tohoku for the
next couple of years, but I'm afraid that most of our grads are going
to end up in the Shinjuku 都庁 figuring out creative ways to suck up
ever more resources for infrastructure improvements for 2020....

[2]  We have some excuse in that we are under great pressure from
MonkeyShow and Keidanren, but that's why we need Todai to stand up for
the right!