Re: [tlug] New notebook & distro

I am thinking of getting a haswell chromebook, which I think from what I have read so far I will be able to install debian on. So cheap and such long battery life. Has to be bought outside the country though.

On 7 Nov 2013 14:01, "Darren Cook" <darren@example.com> wrote:
> given a new machine, but I just disabled the secure boot feature in BIOS.

Thanks. Armed with that knowledge a bit of searching found:
 * Secure Boot should be disable-able on any machine (except an ARM
tablet). This disable-able-ness is actually required for Windows
Hardware Certification Requirements.

 * With Secure Boot disabled Windows 8.1 will still start, but will show
a watermark warning. (That too can be disabled.)

 * For $99 (to Verisign) you can register your linux installation with
secure boot, to get its advantages. (I.e protection against malware.)

I assume the NSA still has its own back-door, with or without Secure Boot.

Darren