Re: [tlug] New notebook & distro

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:24:03AM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> > I remember a year ago there was lots of talk that new notebooks with new
> > bios and windows installed would not allow installing linux. Did that
> > turn out to be a non-issue. Can I buy any old (er, new) HP or Dell
> > notebook, repartition disks and install linux distro of my choice on it
> > with no real pain? Or do I have to shop carefully? Windows pre-installed

There is a thing called secure boot, which, in theory at least, should be
able to be disabled by the user.  I think both Ubuntu and Fedora have ways
to easily install upon a secure boot computer, but having no machines set
up since that was instituted, I don't know.  I do remember at my last job,
being given a new machine, but I just disabled the secure boot feature in
BIOS.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6