Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 10/05/2013 08:19 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
However, looking at a Lubuntu Raring installation, running libreoffice, also 4.0.2.2, I go Tools=>Options and see Language Settings. and click Languages, if I then click Show UI elements for East Asian writings, I have an option to choose Japanese as the default Asian language.
Yeah, I did all of that before I asked ... and you know the result. *sigh* I tried changing my Locale to Japanese and changing CTL Language from "Hindi" to "None".

No joy. I can open, view, and save Japanese text in LibreOffice, and can print, but I can't input.

Heh, and I see that I can't get Japanese working with it right now. It's amusing that such an in theory user friendly Linux can't get this right while it's easy to do in FreeBSD.
Even more disgusting to report, it's also working seamlessly in WIN 7, so I opened my notes in LibreOffice and re-saved the file in .odt file format. Then I copied it on to a USB drive in Kubuntu and then went to my VirtualBox desktop and uploaded it to the WIN drive. I then opened the WIN version of LibreOffice and opened the file. The kanji and kana are properly formatted and in the right typeface and size.

So, I can do what I wanted to do all along. I just can't do it on my Kubuntu desktop. As Dr. McCoy would say; "It's life, Jim, it's just not life as we know it."

--
CL