Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:

>>> That might be due to its not being one. Wiktionary is a common counterpart.
>>
>> One more comment.  Yes, it's not a dictionary, but some neanderthals
>> use it like one sometimes!
>
> Speaking as a lexicographer, I view the Japanese Wikipedia as a very useful
> source for the initial stages of developing a dictionary entry for hitherto
> unrecorded terms. Sometimes the articles can be a bit quirky and off-target,
> and the XXXXとは.... explanations certainly need checking elsewhere, but
> they are correct and relevant most of the time. They are often more lucid
> than the explanations found in places like 広辞苑 and 大辞林.

Come to think of it - my worst experiences with bad definitions via
on-line reference material have tended to be English to English
definitions.  Since even the best Japanese to English and English to
Japanese dictionaries have issues (sometimes fairly severe issues), my
comments are probably misplaced regarding JE and EJ material!  So -
let me try once more to rephrase that (backpedaling, I know...):

For certain applications, I like to have (at least some) static
reference material so that when you look up a term on July 31st, it
still has the same definition on September 3rd.  This combined with
the latest brouhaha material on-line is best for the total picture.
And - back to the topic at hand - I've had some frustration over the
years accessing your wonderful dictionary (sites going down, access
issues from time-to-time, etc.), and so have long wished I could
access it off-line as well.  Sorry for the divergence of topic.

Lyle