Re: [tlug] NAS RAID advice

Hi Darren,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering about this (or similar), Buffalo RAID1 NAS
>   http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00620MD48/
>  (2TB for 21,180 yen)
>  (4TB for 28,693 yen)
>
> Versus something like this, Rack System network RAID case:
>   http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009DQIPEU/
>  (12,090 yen)
>  (then 2TB x 2 disks for about 7,700 yen each)
>
> So, it seems to be similar cost. Would I get a better product by fitting
> my own disks? And, on the other side, is this a trivial setup (slap the
> disks in, switch it on, press "raid 1 please", come back in half an hour
> after it has formatted itself), or a full-day of hard work?
>
> Alternative recommendations, in the 20-30,000 yen range, are warmly welcome.

I cannot comment on the second option but I have an older version of
the first one from Buffalo (only 1 TB, I think).  If I remember
correctly (it's been a while...), you just access a particular web
page to create user accounts and change the RAID level there.  Perhaps
the Rack System has something similar?

I don't know what Buffalo includes inside...I never checked...but
buying your own HDDs might be a good idea if you don't trust the
quality of HDDs in the Buffalo system.

> I cannot find any specifics [1], but I assume in either case I will just
> use samba client to access it from Linux? This is to replace an ageing
> linux-hosted samba file server.

This is embarrassing, but so far, I haven't connected the Buffalo to
my Linux system; it's connected to a Windows system...  Having it
mount on the Linux system was on my to-do list for a very long time...

If you get option #1 and use Samba, I'd be interested to hear about it
so that I know it's possible.  :-)

My office has other brands of NAS' and I wasn't successful with them
with samba.  I didn't try very hard, though.  In the end, I used
"curlftpfs" [1] by adding it to my /etc/fstab/ .

Ray

[1]  http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/